12/16/14

DIY mason jar planters

As the holidays approach, it's no secret that for most, it becomes incredibly stressful thinking of the perfect gift ideas. Lately, I have become an enormous 'plant fan'. Everytime I see a jar, mug, or wood piece I immediately think about what plant I could possibly place there. {I think that may offer me up as the crazy plant lady} The plant that I prefer using, and I feel is the easiest to manage, is the Succulent. Succulents are very easy to maintain in arid regions. {*hint they will live quite a while here in Las Vegas} I think that may be why I enjoy them so much. Succulents only require a light watering once a week, indirect sunlight, and most importantly, a whole lot of love.

This is a fun, simple, and affordable gift idea for someone who will enjoy a little green life this holiday season. I hope you enjoy!


For this project, you can use any size mason jar. The only difference is an increased amount of soil to fill the jar. The mason jar I prefer using with these small succulents is a 4 oz Ball brand. This brand, along with several other mason brands, can be found at Target, Walmart, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc.

Succulents can be found at almost any plant nursery, Home Depot, or Lowes. I purchase mine at the Star Nursery here in Las Vegas. Each succulent of this size is only $1.98. The soil that I use is called African Violet Potting Mix. It is also inexpensive and can be found at any plant nursery, Home Depot, or Lowes. 


Warning: This project gets messy.. but it's surly worth the mess!







No comments:

Post a Comment